Salterford House School was established in 1981 as a fee paying independent prep school for 3- 11 year olds by Mrs Marlene Venables who had a vision for education which focused on the individual. It was based on creating a caring and nurturing environment where children are provided with all the tools to perform at the very best of their ability.
The school started with 8 pupils and now has 100 children who are taught in small classes of around 10-12 by dedicated and well-qualified professionals supported by enthusiastic and talented teaching assistants.
The school is a family business, still owned and run by Mrs Venables and supported by her daughter as deputy head teacher.
One of the unique aspects of the school, as well as the family feeling you get as soon as you arrive at reception, is the quite stunning 4 acre site set in the heart of rural North Nottinghamshire. The woodland area is perfect for playtime fun but also afford the pupils ample opportunity to investigate nature as well as participate in organised outside activities. Salterford House has always been a school where creative minds are encouraged to be inquisitive and excited by learning.
At Salterford House School we aim :
• To ensure that all pupils receive their full entitlement to the whole curriculum
• To provide a relevant challenging curriculum in which pupils will be encouraged to reach their maximum potential.
• To provide a curriculum that will not only motivate children but also encourage them to understand the purpose and enjoyment of learning.
• To provide an environment where children apply their knowledge, skills and understanding with confidence whilst developing their ability to investigate and problem solve through discussion, prediction and evaluation.
• To provide a stimulating and vibrant environment in order to support positive attitudes to learning.
• To encourage children to respect and value other cultures and beliefs, to uphold British values and ultimately to become caring, confident and educated members of a multi-faith, multi-cultural society.
• To develop positive attitudes and an awareness of the needs, strengths and qualities of others in order to work, share and grow socially and emotionally, spiritually and morally, physically and intellectually
• To equip children with the resilience and perseverance to become creative and independent thinkers and to become learners for life within an ever-changing world.
At Salterford House we:
• Encourage all children to 'be the best that they can be'
• Value each individual regardless of race, gender, faith or ability
• Provide a secure and caring environment
• Encourage positive relationships between all members of the school community
• Develop a sense of ownership, pride and respect